Wednesday 6 July 2011

Getting an Azerbaijan Visa in Tbilisi (Georgia)


Georgian Flag

So I was going to call it an Azeri visa, but then I remembered a chat we had with an Azerbaijan-ian...? girl in Istanbul and she said that asking a person if they are Azeri is not the same as asking them if they are Azerbaijan-ian. She was nice about it and I don't think that it's a massive fail, but I try to use the term Azerbaijan as much as I can, just to be safe.

Azerbaijan-ian flag

Now that you're suitably confused, I will begin. The blog is a bit behind at the moment, but soon you will learn of the arrival of Charlie. Charlie is our third team member, I've not really spent much time with him up till now, because he's Seb's friend from University, but when he got in last night, he brought snacks and beer. I like him.

Bottom line, the visas are really easy to get. We both needed Azeri Visas and we both have British passports. I took a taxi to the embassy with a very hung over, still drunk Charlie. However, this embassy is not that hard to find. It's just off Chavchavadze (Chav-Chav-Ad-Ze) street (the official address is "2nd Block, Kipshedze street, Building 1"). Best bet is to go to http://www.mapspot.ge/ if you want to walk, but you can get a taxi for 5 Lari from Liberty square (or Why Not? Hostel (best hostel ever)). (Btw, I don't think i need to say, but please ask the price before you get in)

The embassy opens at 9am, and I believe it closes at 1pm

I got to the embassy, and they let me queue jump to see the official, (I used the technique of walking aimlessly around by the gate with a confused look on my face until someone official realized I was a tourist and helped me) Once you are there they will give you a visa application form.

If you have an LOI/hotel booking etc. already, you don't need this blog. If (like me) your organisational skills are of the 2-step plan variety*, then you will have none of these.

The embassy official  gave me a card with the address of a travel agency (I think it was called X-tours). to find it, go back to Chavchavadze street, cross the bridge to get over the road, face away from the road and turn 90 degrees right (I like maths), the agency is like 200m down the road.

The agency will then get you a tourist visa, (no LOI, no Hotel booking needed) it's a really good system.
The agency opens at 10am, and closes at 5pm earliest.

You will need:
1) Visa application form (filled in)
2) 101 USD (not a typo) or 60 EUR in cash for the visa fee
3) 20 Lari for the processing fee (agency)
4) Passport photo
5) Passport (obviously)

YOU WILL NEED NOTHING ELSE

As far as processing times go,
- We got there on a Wednesday morning.
- I told the official at the embassy that I needed it by Friday,
- He guaranteed this was OK.
- When I was in the travel agency, they said it would be done by Monday.
- I disagreed.
- I told them what the man at the embassy said
- They said "OK, Friday".

I've heard stories of it being done in a day and I'm pretty sure if you give them a deadline, they can meet it.

My passport is with them at the moment, and I will amend this post if the visa doesn't come by Friday, but I have faith.

I hope you all have fun in Azerbaijan
Sam


*(For most men, and some women, the 2-step plan is the pinnacle of organisation, many of my 2-step plans follow the lines of "have a sandwich, then maybe a nap", or "go home, watch TV" there are many famous 2-step plans such as "go out, get drunk" "have sex, fall asleep" and "fight bear, die horribly", the 2-step plan is always a safe and useful option, and has been enjoyed by people the world over for centuries.)

5 comments:

  1. Oh, and by the way, we did get the visas as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad news: I just tried it exactly this way, and the girl at x-tours told me, that from August on, you need a Letter of Invitation for the visa, which means it will cost 200$ altogether :(

    I have a German passport, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. used xtours in May 2012 and it was fine. LOI was covered in their all inclusive fee ($130 for UK passport)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your blog is very usefull for us...
    Thank you very much for sharing your experience!
    Tourist visa to Azerbaijan

    ReplyDelete